Fun Festivals in May
May is a great time to get out and experience one, or more of the many festivals that take place in Alabama during the month. No matter what you enjoy there is probably a festival for you. There are festivals with kid friendly things to do, arts to explore, fantastic food to eat, music to enjoy, local merchants to patronize and fun to be had. Some of the upcoming festivals in Alabama are listed below.
- Cullman Strawberry Festival – Saturday May 5th – If you like strawberries you should plan to go. The day will be filled with strawberry treats along with arts and crafts, kid friendly activities, music and a car show.
- Whistlestop Festival – Huntsville – Friday May 4th and Saturday May 5th – Do you like wings and bbq? Of course you do. With competitions featuring amateur and pro teams along with music and approximately 25,000 spectators this will be a big event.
- Gulf Coast Hot Air Balloon Festival – Foley – Thursday May 3rd through Sunday May 6th – Hot air balloons, 5K & 10K run, dog show and many other activities.
- George Washington Carver Commemorative Festival – Tuskegee – Saturday May 5th – Parade, science fair, car show, exhibitors, music and fun.
- Trussville City Fest – Saturday May 5th – Music, fireworks, kid’s rides, etc.
- Buck Creek Festival – Helena – Friday May 11th and Saturday May 12th. Do you want musical variety, great vendors, a fun park and many yellow ducks? If so then you need to make plans to attend this year’s festival. One unique thing about the festival is the duck race that takes place on Saturday. If you have children they will not want to miss the event.
- Art in the Park – Jasper – Friday May 12th – If you love art then this festival is for you. A juried art show, children’s art, storytelling and other fun things take place at the festival.
- Logan Martin LakeFest & Boat Show – Pell City – Friday May 18th and Saturday May 19th – Come enjoy trying a new boat on the lake along with live entertainment and vendors.
- Do Dah Day – Birmingham – Saturday May 19th – If you love dogs and cats you must attend this festival. There is a full pet parade along with bands and kids activities.
- Pelham Palooza – Pelham – Saturday May 19th – Fun and kid friendly event held this year at Pelham City Park. Entertainment, vendors, food trucks, etc.
- Hangout Music Festival – Gulf Shores – Friday May 18th through Sunday May 20th – The central focus of this festival can be found in its name of Music. If you are fortunate enough to venture to the beach in Gulf Shores you will have an opportunity to see and hear national and local acts perform live.
- Cahaba Lily Festival – West Blocton – Saturday May 19th – Interested in a relaxing time learning about nature and seeing flowers. Then make plans to attend the festival which provides education in the morning, lunch and then a walk to the Cahaba River to view the lilies in bloom.
- Rhododendron Festival – Mentone – Saturday May 19th and Sunday May 20th – If heading to the mountains sounds like a good idea then this festival featuring arts, crafts, music and food may be the ticket. While there also take in the beauty of the blooming Rhododendrons and breathtaking views of the scenery.
- Alabama Jubilee Hot Air Balloon Classic – Decatur – Saturday May 26th and Sunday May 27th – Plan to attend this fun family friendly event. See hot air balloons fill the sky and look at classic cars, tractors and crafts.
- Memorial Day Weekend Music Festival – Cullman – Saturday May 26th – Enjoy the lake, swimming pool, bands and other activities while attending this festival.
- Alabaster Cityfest – Alabaster – Saturday June 2nd – Although this festival is not on the May calendar it is close enough to be included. The event is a free music festival that also includes vendors, kids activities and a car show.
As you can see from this large list there are many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors and see things unique to each area. So make plans now with your family and friends to take in one, or more of these festivals.